Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Aftermath

This is what a degree looks like. It cost tens of thousands of dollars and a lot of stress; low and behold, I am unemployed and my future didn't pan out the way I was led to believe. I can't say I blame my alma mater, although they certainly didn't help prepare me for the 2013 job market. What I can say is that my generation comprises in part thousands of young adults unsure of where to go. It's not that the roads are overwhelming in number, some less terrifying than others, but rather we feel stranded in a Sahara-like desert.

Sometimes foot steps of previous wanderers appear, but within minutes a wind will cover them up, changing the landscape completely. Any direction could be simultaneously the right and wrong one to choose. At one point we were led to believe that papers like the one above acted as some sort of guiding force. Unfortunately all guiding forces are not created equal, and those Humanities-minded individuals have less of an advantage than those who majored in navigating sand dunes.

In retrospect one could #firstworldproblems this blog post and dismiss it, but when a large percentage of my peers find themselves in this very same boat, it becomes more difficult to shrug this off. Follow your dreams, they said. What does it mean when most of my dreams are nonsensical?

Have you ever seen Waking Life? It's a good 'un.

No comments:

Post a Comment